So I was leaving work to start my week 'staycation' and really wanted to brew some beer. The only thing was it was 4:00 PM, snowing and really cold out. I decided I was gonna do something I haven't done in a long time and brew an extract batch on my electric stove.
I wanted to brew an amber ale but decided that 25% of the extract bill was going to be honey. Since it was all on a whim I wasn't able to get great quality honey but it should still turn out fine. Since my stove struggles to get anything over 3 gallons to boil I decided to do a 3 gallon batch and possibly add some water at the end to bump it up to 3.5 gal.
Brewed on 1-7-10
Extract w/ steeping grains
FG 1.012 (Anticipated)
3 lbs light malt extract
12.2 oz crystal 80L
0.6 oz cluster 60min.
0.8 oz cluster 15min.
1 oz cluster 0min.
1 lb. honey into fermenter
dash of irish moss at 10min.
dash of yeast nutrient at 10min.
12 hrs later: happily fermenting with a 1 inch krausen.
1/21/11 Finished very dry at 1.008 although it tastes sweet. Tasted very good with lots of citrusy almost tangerine notes to it. Kegged.